Reading tags from ZMQ in Python

From: Temir Karakurum
Subject: Reading tags from ZMQ in Python
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 23:13:48 +0300

Hi,

I am looking for a general solution to separate IQ data and tags coming from ZMQ using python. I send RPC requests to receive finite samples via ZMQ. ZMQ messages arrive in many pieces where the first piece has a header and the tags whereas the rest of the pieces include a short header.

Currently I can separate the incoming zmq messages by manually separating the received message into header_magic, header_version, number of received tags, and so on by manually cutting the received message into properly demarcated pieces. Then I can decode the pieces using either pmt.deserialize_str or np.frombuffer.

However, a slight change in the tag or message architecture usually leads to a rewrite of the code. I was wondering whether there is a more general and robust solution regarding reading tagged messages arriving via ZMQ. If anyone can point me to some existing examples available within the codebase or share their snippet for similar purposes I would be grateful.

Best,
Temir