Re: taps for a Raised Cosine function

From: Kristoff
Subject: Re: taps for a Raised Cosine function
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 01:35:00 +0200

Hi gary, Fabian, all,

Small note:

The first tests seems to indicate the the rrc-filter works! Yes!

- I can decode large chunks of data with valid Manchester-encoding. However, from time to time, I do get large blocks of data (10 to 20 seconds) with errors. - Changing the value of alpha does not appears to have that much of an influence.

I'll record a large audio-file of a couple of hours and so that I can do a multiple tests all based on the same "reference" signal before making a final statement about this.

I did notice that the costas-loop (in front of the polyphase clock-sync) acts strange.

In this system, the phase-shift of the carrier is not shifted 180 degrees (as most PSK systems) but only 45 degrees (i.e., +- 22.5 degrees compared a central reference). It looks like the costas-loops has issues with that. Sometimes, the points on the constellation-plot are on the right side of the graph (i.e. above and below 0 degrees); and somethings they hover above and below the 180 degrees point (on left side of the constellation graph).
And this changes randomly.

I also have the impression that the polyphase clock-sync block is able to do a better job when the constellation-points are around 180 degrees then when they hover around 0 degrees as I see a lot more biterrors when the points on the constellation-graph are on the right side of the graph.

I think we've got some more experimentation to do! :-)

Thanks for the help!

Kristoff