Re: Working Narrowband FM examples?

From: Kristoff
Subject: Re: Working Narrowband FM examples?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 13:25:40 +0200

Nathan, Gary, Mike, all.

1/ Just to throw in some more "interesting sources".

- First, you did already mention the 'software defined radio with HackRF' videos by Michael Ossmann. I always advice people to start by just watching all of them and let it all 'come over you'.

Especially the one about complex numbers is interesting.
Although it will not allow you to create GR flowgraph just yet, it is quite interesting as it helps to get a feeling of what are complex-numbers, what are vectors and how signals can be seen as a rotating vector; or -in most cases- a combination of multiple of these rotating vectors added together.

- The, for people who have more an 'IT" / coding background, there are these two resources:

. the book "Think DSP" by Allen B. Downey.
You can buy the book or download it as a PDF (*1)

There is also a 3-hour video of a workshop on this book by the author from pycon 2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrJq2AzXZME

. for DSP, there is pysdr from Marc Lichtman (*2) which gives an interesting approach on SDR from a coding (python) point of view.

I personally started out with the dspguide  and then Rick Lyons's book, both already mentioned by Garry.

I am still looking for a good and easy-to-understand resource that provides the basic concepts of the math used by DSP and SDR.

3blue1brown has a playlist on the basics of linear algebra (*3). It is probably a bit overkill for what is needed to understand the basic idea of vectors and complex-numbers, but I do think it does help for people who are interested in a bit more in-depth understanding how these blocks work.

One video of 3b1b I do advice is the one called "But what is the Fourier Transform? A visual introduction." (*4) as the Fourier-transform is very important in DSP and SDR. It helps to understand that -as already mentioned- a signal is usually a number of frequencies (or rotating vectors if you wish) put on top of each other.

* One more resource -be it not free- is the 'wireless pi' book and video course. (*5)

It's a book and  a video course.

The book itself is still quite mathematical -at least, for somebody like myself who do not have a strict engineering-background- but the video course does offer a good alternative to that. If you just take the math as found in the book for granted,  the video course does offer a basic understanding what actually happens inside blocks like the costas-loop, the FLL band-edge filter or the polyphase clock sync block; and or what is matched-filter. Also also connects well with GNU Radio as it uses that as its main platform to experiment with certain basic data-communication principles.

Do you need this?
Well, in a lot of the cases, probably not. If you just uses example flowgraphs with the basic GNU Radio blocks with the basic default parameter values, there is a good chance your graph will work for most signals.

But -as I see it- having some background-knowledge on the internals of these blocks will help to make to build GR flowgraphs that sync quicker to an incoming databurst, which is probably what you need if you want to build a graphs that detects and decodes (say) short databurst.

So consider this as a resource to go from 'basic' to 'intern mediate' GNU Radio user.

Note. I didn't know the 'DSP related website'. Looks like an interesting resource.

Concerning your issue. my basic troubleshooting methodology is 'start at the bottom of the ISO stack'.
In this case, this means, your hardware and capturing the signal.

1/ Can you receive and demodulate the signal with (say) gqrx?
This will at least test your basic hardware-setup.

2/ Start with a very basic flowgraph: a osmocom source (say @ 2 Msps with a hackrf or 2.4 Msps with an rtl-dongle) and a frequency sink ("QT GUI Frequency sink")
You should at least see the radio-stations you are looking for.
Try adding three sliders ("QT GUI range") for the RF-gain, IF-gain and BB-gain of your osmocom block and check what variables change what in the signal you receive.

If this works, build up the graph step by step adding block by block, and test the output with a frequency sink or a time-sink at every step of the process.

One thing that is very important in this:
Adapt the sample-rate of the instrumentation block (e.g. QT GUI time or QT GUI Frequency block) to the sample-rate at the part of the flow-graph you are monitoring. So, if your flowgraph contains a block that does decimation (e.g. the frequency xlating FIR filter, a low-pass filter, the WBFM receive), keep track of the correct sample-rate at the output of that blocks and fill in the correct sample-rate in the instrumentation-block monitoring that output!

If you have a instrumentation-block that has (say) two inputs, the signals at both inputs must have the same samplerate. Say you have an QT time-sink block with two inputs and the sample-rate at one is 1/5 of the sample-rate of the other input, add a 'repeat 5' block in front of that input to correct this!!!

Kristoff (on1arf)

(*1) https://greenteapress.com/wp/think-dsp/
(*2) https://pysdr.org/
(*3) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0-GT3co4r2y2YErbmuJw2L5tW4Ew2O5B