?????? How to debug GNU Radio's C++ program from source code?

From: ????????
Subject: ?????? How to debug GNU Radio's C++ program from source code?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:22:38 +0800

Hi,
Thank you very much for your suggestions, this is exactly what I want, I am a novice, do not have a lot of experience in program debugging, and there are some details I haven't figured out.

Step 1: Open the source tree in VScode. What does the source tree here refer to? A directory? I am using GNUradio built from source installation. Which directory should I open? Is it the one before or after the installation? Where is the source tree after installation?

Step 2: Is the setting of "args" the absolute path of the Python program I want to debug? Whether it can exist anywhere on the computer, but after I entered the path, the font turned red. Obviously, something went wrong.

One last question: If I want to modify the function of an existing module, do I create a new OOT module and then copy the content of the original module to modify it?
Sincerely

------------------ ???????? ------------------
??????: "Josh Morman" <jmorman@gnuradio.org>;
????????: 2021??8??3??(??????) ????9:48
??????: "????????"<2127629883@qq.com>;
????: "discuss-gnuradio"<discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org>;
????: Re: How to debug GNU Radio's C++ program from source code?

Hello!

Even though GNU Radio has python bindings with swig or pybind11, the underlying code c++ symbols are still accessible with GDB. Using Visual Studio Code and GNU Radio compiled from source with Debug Symbols this is pretty straightforward:
1) Open up the source tree of gnuradio in visual studio code
2) edit the launch.json and add a C++/GDB configuration where program is python and args is the output of the GRC rendering
        {
            "name": "(gdb) Launch",
            "type": "cppdbg",
            "request": "launch",
            "program": "/usr/bin/python3",
            "args": ["/path/to/grc_output.py"],
            "stopAtEntry": false,
            "cwd": "${workspaceFolder}",
            "environment": [],
            "externalConsole": false,
            "MIMode": "gdb",
            "setupCommands": [
                {
                    "description": "Enable pretty-printing for gdb",
                    "text": "-enable-pretty-printing",
                    "ignoreFailures": true
                }
            ]
        },
3) put the breakpoint where you want to hit - note that GR will have been compiled with optimizations, so the breakpoints might be a bit funky
4) F5 to run the application

If you are debugging your own OOT, this makes it even simpler because you can compile as "-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug" and then your breakpoints will be very predictable - in this case you just open up VS code from the root of your project and follow the same steps.

Hope this helps.

Josh