Re: About the status of Microsoft .NET

From: Panos Alevropoulos
Subject: Re: About the status of Microsoft .NET
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:13:26 +0200

On 23-12-22 00:32:51, J05HYYY wrote:
For the list's info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Invention_Network

Here in Europe we don't really have patents (:- living the dream)!

Many Thanks,

Josh

The OIN is a defensive patent pool that is indeed responsible for most of GNU/Linux's protection against software patents. .NET is included in its "Linux System" definition [0], which is a good thing, but we don't know if it's enough.

Also, we do have software patents in Europe. Hundreds of thousands of them. Many people seem to believe that we got rid of software patents in some jurisdictions but that's not true [1]. Maybe I should write an entry on ESP Wiki about the "No software patents myth" that is common in the free software community.

[0]: https://openinventionnetwork.com/linux-system-definition/table-11/breakdowns/packages/ [1]: https://endsoftwarepatents.org/2021/08/the-threat-of-software-patents-persists/

--
Panos Alevropoulos
End Software Patents Administrator