Re: Icecat Was: general policies

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: Icecat Was: general policies
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 18:55:07 +0200

On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 23:09:03 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:
> go ahead an write to gnuzila-dev to suggest it if you like; but it is
> a waste of time - i am done trying - the issue was raised again only
> last month - no one from the gnuzilla team even replied
I've done that.

> if it were that simple, i would have accomplished it years ago - i
> would not sincerely recommend guix to anyone though; simply because
> it is a TPPM - that is a very marrow-minded solution - there are
> packages in the repos of guix, parabola, and fedora - there is also a
> repo on the OBS with .deb packages - for other distros i would
> recommend "if your distro is not listed here, ask your distro to
> package icecat or compile it yourself from source" - if people use
> guix instead, it reduces the chance that icecat will be packaged for
> any other distros - and at this point, i do not care any more - i may
> even stop packaging icecat for parabola and create an 'iceweasel-esr'
> to replace it
I don't see the issue with Guix.

I know it's not a drop-in replacement for something like a parabola
package for instance, but first it's an FSDG compliant distribution.

And I know using Guix on top of other distributions isn't ideal as it
duplicates the user work to keep the system up to date and also eats up
a lot more space, but I've also added a suggestion for users to package
IceCat in their distribution.

But as far as I know Guix's Icecat is at least FSDG compliant.

Denis.