Icecat Was: general policies

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Icecat Was: general policies
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 04:25:06 +0200

On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 12:41:02 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:
> i dont want to harp on that point; but that propaganda is well
> founded - not for the important stuff; but for pretty much everything
> else - you need look no further than the relatively high-profile
> gnuzilla - they still are promoting as their _only_ release, a
> browser which has been EOL since 2019, which the vast majority of its
> target audience consider to be dangerously insecure - any such
> propaganda about icecat would be squarely founded

Can we get that fixed instead? A very simple fix would be to redirect
the people to use Guix which use their source code but re-apply their
patches on top of latest Firefox stable releases. Guix also seems to be
quite up to date with their icecat package.

Many software projects simply tell not to install their project from
source but use distributions.

Guix is also part of GNU so I don't see why that specific fix would be a
problem.

> gnuzilla is not an isolated case, just the most prominent and clearly
> showing the wrong face of GNU - its not unfounded propaganda - it is
> a serious problem that GNU should address generally
The propaganda is not about some specific issues but rather "do not use
because it's old". This is not the same thing as some problems need
fixing in some packages and having other packages that are perfectly
fine.

If the propaganda was true, adding a cutting edge new project in GNU
would be either impossible or would make that project become instantly
old. It would also mean that old is necessarily bad. So in that case
people should also not use Linux because it's old.

Denis.