Re: Unapprove F-Droid like Replicant?

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: Unapprove F-Droid like Replicant?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 21:38:25 -0400

On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 23:19:48 +0200 Denis wrote:
> Making sure it builds with free software in a somewhat clean way
> (with 100% free software and good dependencies management
> practices) would help a lot in having an FSDG compliant F-Droid version

that is another good point - i dont suppose that anyone tries to build the
software before adding it to the FSD - it does seem like a good idea; but the
only way to know if it builds with free software may be to try building
everything before adding it to the FSD - that would require more skill than the
FSF expects editors to have - the FSF wants the FSD to be an activity that
non-techies can handle - IMHO, it would also require a policy change; because i
doubt that compiling is part of the standard procedure now, or that there is a
criteria about a fully free build or operating environment now

> Do you know if we need some decision to implement that or can we start
> right away?

over-all, that was my main point - treating these on a one-by-one basis is very
inefficient and subjective - there should be some general guidelines, something
of a checklist like we made for the FSDG - then no one would need to ask "is it
OK for this specific program to have this specific behavior?" - there should be
a standard answer for common concerns - either none may have that specific
behavior or all may

in other words, i would drop the very specific "f-droid" from this conversation
entirely; and decide which common general behaviors are acceptable, as a matter
of policy

for example:
1) may _any_ program suggest/recommend/utilize un-trusted third-party repos?
2) may _any_ program require a non-free build environment to compile?
3) may _any_ program run only on a non-free OS?

i added "3" because presumably mobile must be written such that they are
impossible to port to any other OS, in the way that windows applications
normally could be - if "3" is "no", then that would preclude any iphone apps;
and android apps would be acceptable only if they can run on replicant

again i dont know that the FSD includes any android or iphone apps; but that
requirement would entail editors to try running all android apps on replicant

in other words, i think the FSD criteria are intentionally more relaxed than
they could be, as not to require any technical skills of the editors, but only
licensing knowledge