Re: Adding firmware to FSD

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Adding firmware to FSD
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 18:29:22 +1000

On 2 October 2021 04:09:07 GMT+10:00, Craig Topham <craigt@fsf.org> wrote:

>On 9/24/21 3:51 AM, Yuchen Pei wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does it make sense to start a collection on free firmware?  One can
>> start by adding items appearing on say
>> <https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware/Open> to the directory.
>>
>> If we add some info of firmware for hardware entries on h-node.org,
>> then the two wikis can link to each other: hardware entries on h-node
>> can link to firmware entries on FSD and vice versa. :)
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>I think this is a good idea. Having the two wikis interlinked will bring
>more attention to both. I am not sure a new collection is necessary (at
>this time). After looking at the current Collections, it seems we need
>to do a little house cleaning (and hone the purpose of collections)
>before we create more.

That's fine by me.

> If a specific h-node hardware runs on a free
>firmware, then that firmware should be vetted, added to the FSD, and
>linked from h-node with a link (in the description?) to h-node from the
>FSD entry. Example: <https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Das_U-Boot>

I think it will be good to add firmware that supports hardware on hnode to fsd.
 But is there any reason not to add firmware regardless whether there's
hardware on hnode supported by it?  That way there's less dependency and and
one wiki doesn't need wait for the other to add stuff.