Re: Developing free non-gnu operating systems

From: quiliro
Subject: Re: Developing free non-gnu operating systems
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 11:12:18 -0500

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> writes:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 15:46:00 -0500
> quiliro@riseup.net wrote:
>
>> Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> writes:
>> > Not really. Guix is a real package manager with code to build
>> > software and so on. The idea with Guix is that, even if there are
>> > some official repositories of compiled packages, you are free to
>> > run your own or use the ones you want, etc.
>> >
>> > Unlike Guix, ReactOS had nothing to do with the creation of these
>> > binaries in the first place, it just had a software that downloaded
>> > binaries that contained installers and executed these binaries.
>>
>> So, Guix audits the freedom of every single commit of each version of
>> the source packages that it recommends?
>
> Reading the Guix source code[1] and documentation[2] would probably make
> all that more clear:
> - The Guix package manager and the packages are developed in a single
>   git repository[1]. That repository is the official one.
> - The installation instructions[2] have instructions to enable (or not
>   enable) binary repositories.
> - The install instructions also have instructions on how to enable
>   other git repositories for the package definitions[4] but I didn't
>   have the time to try that yet.

Every time you install a package with Guix, a new binary is made.  If
the binary is exactly the same as another generated by another user,
that one is used to avoid recompiling every time the same package.  So
that is a substitute that can be audited.  That is the default behavior.
But it can be changed.

So all packages cannot be audited because new compiling options are
possible every time.  Hence, it is not possible that Guix package manage
complies with FSDG every time.

I suggest you try this, Dennis.  Then you can see what I am talking
about.