Re: Developing free non-gnu operating systems

From: quiliro
Subject: Re: Developing free non-gnu operating systems
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 05:08:32 -0500

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> writes:

>> How is the ReactOs package manager different from package managers on
>> unix-like systems?
> If I recall well, at the time they didn't host the software that was
> available in their package manager at all.
>
> Their "package manager" was merely a tool to download software from
> various URLs and execute their installers. However the interface was
> quite similar to existing graphical package manager frontends.
>
> The technical advantage of implementing in this way is that it requires
> way less work.

Oh! So it was similar to what Guix is?  Guix also downloads the software
from various non-Guix URLs, if the package you want to install does not
have a compiled version.  And if has a compiled version hosted in Guix
servers, there are so many factors in the compilation that it is
impossible to audit for freedom in a rigorous way for every package.