Re: On the good neutrality of free software

From: Lorenzo L. Ancora
Subject: Re: On the good neutrality of free software
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 19:59:33 +0000

        This was an interesting one. I'm positively impressed.

What I was trying to imply was also that by extension you could also
include political systems, some of which have huge influence on the way
human interaction work and on the relationship between people. [...]
So it would be really hard to draw a line with a criteria that is that
vague as your more narrow definition of political.

Where is the logical flaw here? :-)
You are diluting the concept of politics in order to affirm "everything is part of politics, therefore politics is acceptable always and everywhere", which is a conclusion from false premises.
You are mixing pears and apples, obtaining bananas as conclusion.

To make an example:

"Flamingos are pink, hippos sweat is pink, so all hippos descend from flamingos". This is obviously false.

"Political programs in France take into account free software, there is a piece of software which encourages that, so all software development derives from politics or is related to them". This is obviously false.

We know that the correct, official definition of politics is:

Politics are the activities of the government, members of law-making
organizations, or people who try to influence the way a country is
governed and, by extension, someone's opinions about how a country
should be governed.

...and, if you extend it, hence basing your deductions on a larger set of concepts, the probabilities that a subsequent reflection will be supported by part of those concepts increases. This, however, does not happen because you are using better concepts, but because you are basing your reflections on more concepts which happen to be also more heterogeneous. This brings you farther from a logical, valid conclusion, obtaining a fake truth value.

The line of thinking you are expressing tends to justify using
software for purposes other than solving end-user problems, which
obviously turns software into a political tool.
Indeed. I even specifically advocate to do that in the larger sense of
political.

I advocate the opposite, because in my opinion the line of thinking you expressed damages the majority of the free software community. Politics and software development should remain as separated as possible.

By the way, at a first glance your paragraph looks true ("IF (A AND
B) THEN C") but analyzing it for a few minutes reveals some
incoherence. Let's see why.
""free software itself is political as it takes a stance on Freedom""
Why Freedom is in title caps here? mmmhhh
I often make typos and spelling mistakes in probably all the languages
I speak.
There are many types of freedom and personal freedom does not necessarily correspond to political freedom. In other words, you are oversimplifying the concept of freedom, which is not unitary and is
not absolute.
I indeed didn't specify what freedom meant here, and it doesn't always
apply in the same way in all cases. I also did it not to go in too much
debates about that as it's a complicated concept with many aspects.

Mmmhhh, but your answers are always crafted carefully.
To be frank, what you did here is called demagogy: people might be tempted to approve vague statements because their interpretation tends to be arbitrary and arbitrary interpretation tends to be optimistic.

You wrote "Freedom" so the reader would associate the titled word with the fundamental software freedoms you are now using in the next argumentation, even if the discussion is related to them very loosely and their importance is far long overshadowed by the weight of the "politics" keyword. This makes me suspicious that you already had a plan on where to steer the discussion from the beginning; also you took the chance to cite certain software, probably to draw the interest of the readers towards them.

Clever, I didn't saw that from a while, I'll play along. ;-)

In any case, with free software, freedom isn't only personal: you also
have collective freedoms too (Freedom 2 and 3):
Freedom 2: The freedom to redistribute and make copies so you can
help your neighbour. Freedom 3: The freedom to improve the program, and release your
improvements (and modified versions in general) to the public, so
that the whole community benefits.
They enable things like building communities around software or other
works under free (software) licenses. And in my definition of politics
which is very broad, the way communities are run is political.

In your extended definition of politics this is surely true, but only inside of it and only if we accept that all free software communities exists thanks to the aforementioned freedoms. I will simply argue that not all free software communities know of the fundamental freedoms and yet manage to sustain and thrive; I will argue that you cannot prove the linking between the statements of those freedoms and the birth of the free software communities; I - and this is more a personal comment as an individualist - will argue that a collective freedom isn't really a freedom, because if an individual requires the cooperation of others to keep a certain right then this right is aleatory because it exists solely on the basis of the absence of conflicts of interests, which raises inevitably.

In addition, you are implicitly classifying people into an arbitrary group, because you are giving by assured that all who publish/develop free software are part of the free software movement or related to
the FSF or to GNU.
I'm rather trying to classify projects based on their statements and
or affiliation to free software politics (software freedom,
anti mass-surveillance, etc).

Free software politics do not (and must not) exist. Those you are referring to are ideals, actually unrelated to any particular organization or government. In fact, you can easily prove that the members of those project have those ideals, but you cannot prove that all members of those projects have political aims and/or involvements. In particular, you cannot even prove that what they do is not selfish, in other words that what each member of those community does is to improve the society and not to protect themselves or for other personal social interests.

In addition, an individual cannot judge a human group, and this implies that he/she can neither classify it: any attempt at classification will always be incorrect due to being ephemeral and approximated. To make an example, attempts from individuals to classify groups have lead to things like racism, antisemitism, xenophobia and homophobia.

I agree with that. [...]
The reality is that projects sometimes have to interact with "politics" in one
way or another because politics of states and companies do affect free software projects
(in good or bad ways).

Literally anything in a civilized society interacts with politics, the key difference you are missing is whether this interaction is active or passive. An active interaction is doing or criticize politics; a passive interaction is respecting or accepting politics. If an interaction is passive, then the subject of such interaction has nothing to do with politics, like the majority of free software developers and free software projects; if, on the contrary, there is some kind of political statement, an explicit, clear statement which actively aims to change or criticize society, then - and only then - we are talking about a politicized software developer and/or of a politicized software.

As for your definition of politics, I don't think it would be a good
idea to discriminate against that on the only basis that it's
political. I think that extremely specific criteria could be worked on instead if
some real issues arise, otherwise, if applied such criteria would be a
can of worms. And if no issue arise I don't see why spending time on
such criteria.

Nobody is, nor will ever be able to judge whether there is a "real problem" or not, because that individual making the judgment should be demonstrably neutral. However, there is no way to prove that a person is neutral or that they will remain neutral over time. Consequently, it is best to reject proactively all software which is suspected to have political side endings, because this is the ethically correct course of action under the definition of software: software exists solely to solve an end-user problem.

It's way more complicated than that. Take a tractor for instance. The
way the tool is made and its dependencies is deeply political.
To make it work you need oil, which has geopolitical implications. With big
tractors, you can't farm small lands, so you kind of need to adapt your land to
mono-culture, etc.
So the tool itself (independently of the software that is in it) has
already some huge impact on its environment and on politics.

You cannot prove that the choice of a tractor is for political purposes or that a tractor is built in a certain way to challenge or support a certain policy, all you know is whether the tractor complies with the law or not. On the contrary, if the tractor has a Nazi flag on the door, probably there is some political agenda behind. Also, a later buyer of such tractor would likely replace the door with a clean one... :-)

With free software, tools can very easily include or exclude group of
people:
- There are efforts to translate free software in many language to make
  it more accessible
- People with visual issues or blind people can be denied the
  ability to use free software because it wasn't made to take that
  into account. In some case free software programmers wanting free
  software to be more inclusive have to struggle to get their patch
  included and maintained.
- An encyclopedia like Wikipedia has a huge impact and it's not
  completely neutral even if they try very hard to have a neutral point
  of view. For instance just the fact that is an encyclopedia brings
  many biases. Other form of knowledge also have different biases. If
  you take Wikidata for instance, you can't really express what is
  music in a database. But it's super useful for many things. The free
  software directory is itself somewhat similar to a database of
  software, with some free text fields.
- People probably need to know how to read to use most free software.
  so it has political implications as well.
The nice thing with free software is that in all these cases, we have
way way more leverage to fix these things. With nonfree software it
would be almost impossible to have it fixed.

Sadly, this paragraph is incontestably true. There is clearly a lack of sensibility toward the disabled and the mentally ill and this is caused by the fact that those "special" software improvements are not appreciable be the majority of end users. The disabled are always a strict minority and for minorities its always a struggle to be remembered and recognized, especially if the effort also requires uncommon skills and wealth.

The Free Software Directory is meant to be a public searchable database of metadata about free software. It should remain neutral, fulfilling only its main tasks, as they already fit within the business purposes of the FSF and nothing more is needed, nor convenient, nor productive in the optic of doing the interests of both the company and the end users.
Being popular is helpful, being popular for the wrong things isn't.

Games can also be (ab)used to become tools, and some of them are.
There isn't just political games like the one we discussed before. We
also have several free software programming games like gnurobots or
Colobots[1]. These are also tools and games.
There is also educational software like tuxmath, gcompris,
tuxtyping, etc which fit both categories. And There are also games to
train your memory, etc.
So as usual the real life situations don't fit well single categories.
And I didn't look yet at Gcompris in details but what it teach or
doesn't teach to kids probably has some political implications somehow.

Games can have multiple purposes, but remains mere works of art.
A statue can be designed to also be a coat hanger, then it is a coat hanger or a statue? Both, yet remains a work of art, because it is meant to induce catharsis and satisfy our need of self-fulfillment. All popular works of art sooner or later are forced into politics, it is their nature and we should accept it. Eventually, a political game has a plot which makes evident any political affiliation, so it is not a side ending and there is no reason to reject it.

"Positive changes" is a relative concept. Anything related to
politics falls into a grey area for me, because all humans - with the
notable exception of saints - always do their own interests either
directly or indirectly: nobody is really capable of expressing a
really selflessness political opinion.
One way to do that is to try to understand what opinion you would get
if you are in other situations that you are or if you were someone
different.
The issue is that you might not be aware of all the situations that
exist. Learning about these situations in ways that really
represent the people in them could help reducing this issue.

Nobody is capable of truly acting against his/her own interests and selfishness and, even when one struggles to do so by using imagination, his/her actions can be inevitably conducted to his/her interests at a chemical or social level. People who is really keen on doing "daily good deeds" is numerous yet hardly noticed. Anyone who proclaims his/her capacity of acting selflessly is only self-convincing or trying to appear "good" at the eyes of the public. Despicable and worthy of suspicion. There is only an inevitable series of changes we choose to ignore from time to time at our pleasure and discretion in the desperate attempt to justify our flaws, but neither of the changes we choose to consider or ignore is totally positive or negative. Changes are only changes, and politics cannot bring absolute improvements, only changes which will help someone at the expenses of someone else. When someone says "positive", it is an immediate red flag: "positive... for who? when? at what price? whose are the interests in that?". If someone seems to have no interests in doing something and yet it does it, then there is something behind or the aim is towards a future gain under the same semantics.

If someone wants to express political opinions, a blog is a more appropriate place than free software websites and repositories.
These are different tools. A blog can't create Bitcoin for instance.
And bitcoin has huge political implications. [...]

The cryptocurrency ecosystem is immense and each investor may not share the same ideology of other investors, this is obvious. As a consequence, you are just assigning an arbitrary political statement to an instrument that is naturally devoid of it. Cryptocurrency is only a technology and the software linked to it remains software unless there is a politic statement clearly - explicitly - attached by the developer. People wants more money and so invests in Bitcoin exactly like barrels of petroleum and gold. Economy cares only about profit, don't attach arbitrary politics to it, because any economic concept is always related to a large group that you, as an individual, cannot properly judge.

[...] If you push the reasoning very far, we would probably end up with no
software at all as it would be really hard to draw a line without
extremely precise criteria, especially when having computers (and
software) has also many political consequences (like the tractor).

Good... then stick to what you can judge clearly: if something is clearly linked to political statements then it can be considered political, otherwise it isn't until proven otherwise.

If an FSD administrator wants to reject a software he/she must also add a valid motivation in the edit summary and that means explaining the specific reason for deletion. Nobody's going to reject a software on suspicion, approval can be delayed but at the end the FSD only approves edits based on facts (and this is a good thing for everyone).

Best regards,
Lorenzo