Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 11:34:21 -0400

On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 11:16:56AM -0400, Michael McMahon wrote:
> Free software is free software regardless of target platform. Turning away
> free software is logically inconsistent with the free software definition.
> The Free Software Directory should not be unnecessarily restrictive and
> should welcome all free software.

We've chosen to prioritize free programs that also run on free operating
systems. We are already falling well short of that; we don't need to expand the
scope of the resource. Let's focus our efforts on that, and discuss this topic
again after, for example, we have all the free programs from Debian main
imported. While using a free program on a nonfree OS is a kind of step, it is a
program that a person would have to drop when hopefully taking the future step
of moving to a fully free system. So let's prioritize first getting all the
programs that don't have this complication in the Directory.

There are also other resources out there that list free software
equivalents/replacements for Windows and Mac without regard to the free OS
standard.

-john