Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement

From: Michael McMahon
Subject: Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 11:16:56 -0400

Free software is free software regardless of target platform. Turning away free software is logically inconsistent with the free software definition.  The Free Software Directory should not be unnecessarily restrictive and should welcome all free software.

The free software directory should be the source for whether a program is freely licensed regardless of operating system preference.  Free software on nonfree systems helps users get a taste of freedom that might encourage them to take steps further up the freedom ladder [1].  Free software for nonfree systems aids free software operating systems by having software that can be ported without starting from scratch.

Denis' example is one silo that has the same function in a different space, but I do not expect all other operating systems to recreate the FSD organically.  The FSD should be the source that everyone checks to see whether a program is free.

[1] https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/the-journey-begins-with-a-single-step-climb-the-freedom-ladder

Best,
Michael McMahon | Web Developer, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: 4337 2794 C8AD D5CA 8FCF  FA6C D037 59DA B600 E3C0
https://fsf.org | https://gnu.org