Re: Cadenza time

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Cadenza time
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 14:39:30 +0000

On Wed, 2022-12-28 at 16:56 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> Are there any notes on this, because I don't understand?
> I can see how to start Cadenza time, and it seems to work, but when I
> want to end it, effectively on the next bar, I get a plethora of
> queries
> as to whether I want things hidden or not, which I really do not
> know. I
> have no Inclusion criteria set.

Part of the problem is that I think you have started from the commands
in the Time Signatures menu, which are possibly too low level - perhaps
they should be hidden by default. The more user-facing cadenza commands
are in

Directives->Markings->Spanning,
for example:
Command: Start Cadenza
Inserts Cadenza start at the current cursor position, which should be
the start of a (Denemo) bar. Turns off automatic barlines, beaming etc
and sets small sized notes for a cadenza. You can break up the cadenza
in the Denemo Display into Denemo "bars" if the cadenza is too long.
You will need to insert barlines or use the Allow Page/Line break
command to let the typesetter break lines. Add Ignore Measure Duration
Error directives in each bar if you want to use Check Score.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Directives ▶ Markings ▶ Spanning
Internal Name: CadenzaOn

They do have more explanations with them and do things like adjusting
the size of the cadenza notes and typesetting the indication at the
start of the cadenza.

In any case, the introduction of more support for conditional behvavior
has made the insertion of the cadenza  start/end time signatures get
interrupted by useless suggestions that they might need conditional
settings, so I've fixed that now.

The most important thing you need to take away from the new help text
is that *all* other staffs need to have spacer rests where there are
cadenza notes so that all the parts start again in sync - essentially
it is like saying everyone plays the cadenza, just most play silently!
And you should break your cadenza up into chunks (Denemo "bars") that
the display can handle nicely - recall the the Denemo display only
works with whole Denemo "bars"

HTH

Richard