Re: [Demexp-dev] Any ideas to manipulate trees on a web page?

From: Felix HENRY
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Any ideas to manipulate trees on a web page?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:18:28 +0100

David MENTRE a écrit :

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to find a way to implement in HTML a tree folding/unfolding,
>similar to the GTK widget Tree View[1]... and I haven't many ideas.
>
>Have you pointers on web interface to manipulate trees that you find
>nice? For example, what do you think of gmane interface[2]?

I think gmane interface is Ok. You can't really fold/unfold branches
with it, can you?
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.politics.organizations.demexp.fr

>This raises an architectural issue: this is the kind of interface where
>Javascript and iframes can be useful and used a lot, like for gmane. But
>such interfaces cannot be used on old browsers. Should we use a nicer
>interface, at the expense of limiting accessibility? Any idea to have a
>nice interface without requiring Javascript (of course Javascript could
>be used to improve the interface)?

I am personally strongly in favor of slightly limiting accessibility
(restricting web interface to IE & firefox & Mozilla/SeaMonkey )
if this means that a nice functionality can be implemented more
easily. And I'm ready to cast a vote in demexp about it! (does it
sound like some kind of threat or what? :-) )

  Félix