Re: [Demexp-dev] Which architecture and languages for next developments?

From: felix . henry
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Which architecture and languages for next developments?
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:32:02 +0100

Dear all,

Quoting David MENTRE <address@hidden>:

At last demexp meeting, we have decided to focus developments on a web
interface to help the spreading of demexp.

We should face now the choice of architecture and language to accomplish
this.
[...]
  wheel, especially regarding web technologies.
What do you think of it? Do you think it would be better to use known
frameworks like http://turbogears.org/ ? Any Python framework you would
be aware of (except Zope, which I find too slow)?

My own feeling is that it is definitely worth spending some time
checking frameworks, because WDialog is quite basic, and the stuff that
we want to do on the web client (displaying lists, selecting, sorting and
such stuff) is quite universal so there should be no need to reinvent the
wheel, as you said.

(i.e. to gather developers). It should be notice that if we use web
technologies (like AJAX), we will use more popular languages
(javascript, HTML, CSS or SQL for example) so it might be easier to
gather developers for them.

I think that it is also worth exploring existing web technologies. I know that
ocaml is nice (hey, it's you who got me to use it at work!) but with popular
technologies such as the ones you mentionned, we have more chances of finding
development frameworks and developpers.

  Felix