Re: [Dazuko-devel] dazukofs and /dev/dazukofs.ign

From: Frantisek Hrbata
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] dazukofs and /dev/dazukofs.ign
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:40:54 +0100

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:01:23 +0100
Frantisek Hrbata <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:53:28 +0100
> Lino Sanfilippo <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > To be honest, I dont see the reason to handle process ignoring
> > within the kernel at all,
> > (as well as the group handling).
> > Those are things that should IMHO be done in userspace (maybe by
> > a daemon at which application can register for file accesses or
> > trust. This daemon could
> > be the ONLY allowed application to communicate with dazuko).
> > There may be applications that would like to handle process trusting
> > and group handling
> > in a totally different way (i.e by using config files that specify
> > which applications to
> > consider as trusted, or using certificates or another authorization
> > scheme to allow trusts).
> >
> > It would also make the kernel code less complex without the
> > group/ignoring implementation,
> > and thus a lot more stable.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Lino Sanfilippo
>
> Yes, I have the same opinion. That is why there is no group support in
> avflt and till the version 0.4 there was also not "trusted frawork".
> But as I wrote, it is needed when scanning is done in a different
> process then process accepting kernel events(deadlock).
>
> -FH

Ok, to be more accurate it is possible to avoid using "trusted"
framework even if the scanning is done in a different process. You just
need to make sure that the scanning process is started and registered to
the process accepting kernel events before it actually starts to
handle kernel events. On the other hand all file accesses from
the scanning process will go through process accepting kernel requests.
This leads to more context switches.

-FH