Re: [Dazuko-devel] 2.1.0-pre4 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] 2.1.0-pre4 posted
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:57:35 +0200

Sami Tikka wrote:
Could you remind me (in case it has been discussed and I have forgotten) what was the reason to base the Linux 2.6 version on LSM instead of system call hooking? I have done some experimenting and it seems I can hook system calls under Linux 2.6 just the same way as it is done in Linux 2.4. The sys_call_table is not exported but the code in dazuko_linux.c seems to be able to locate it.

Hi,

The reason is because the Linux kernel developers don't want people hooking the system call table. Using LSM is preferred. Using a stackable filesystem would be even better.

By using LSM, we are at least making an effort to "cooperate". One of our main goals is acceptance. We won't achieve this until we can get DazukoFS out the door. But until then, we are trying to be as "nice" as we can.

Would hooking the system call table under Linux 2.6 work? Yup, perfectly. But it isn't what we *should* do. If we start hooking the system call table, then we may once again run into the "cat 'n mouse" situation we had with RedHat and the Linux 2.4 kernel.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer