[Dazuko-devel] 2.0.5 released

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] 2.0.5 released
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:45:58 +0100

Hi,

Dazuko 2.0.5 has finally been released. The big changes from 2.0.4 are mostly the support for Linux 2.6. An enormous amount of work was done to detect and support the many variations of the LSM API in distributions. There were also improvements on file access detection under Linux 2.2/2.4.

2.0.5 is the last release in the 2.0.x series. I am now devoting all my time to the 2.1.0 release. Upcoming features include:
  - greatly improved on_close support (faster AND better)
  - eliminating all memory-leak/slowdown problems using on_close
  - separate access_mask/include/exclude settings for groups
  - extended Dazuko interface for caching support
  - a new "trusted application" framework
  - a cross-platform (XP) layer on the userspace side
  - ruby and lua implementations of the Dazuko interface

I was originally hoping to get DazukoFS included for the 2.1.0 version, but this is no longer realistic. DazukoFS is now planned for 2.2.0. However, pre-releases of 2.2.0 will start showing up very soon because this is a major change in how Dazuko works and I think it will take quite a while to get it working right. The new architectural changes in Dazuko that will be present in 2.1.0 are moving towards a DazukoFS mentality. This means that the 2.1.x series will not only introduce many useful and important features, but is also making a transition to a VFS-based access-detection architecture.

On a side note, I had an accident last Friday while riding my bicycle to work. I seemed to have torn something in my right shoulder, which has made using a computer quite difficult. This has already caused some delays in Dazuko's development that I wanted to get finished last weekend. Hopefully I will soon be able to return to my programming schedule.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer