[Dazuko-devel] 2.0.3-pre3 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] 2.0.3-pre3 posted
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:56:06 +0200

Hi,

A new pre-release for Dazuko has been posted. This version includes full Perl and Python support! The example program has been implemented in each language to help show how it works. You can find the various examples in the appropriate example_{language} sub-directories. You will need to run ./configure with the appropriate flags in order to have the various Makefiles generated. See `./configure --help' for a list of all the available options.

Linux Default Capabilities is now handled differently. Rather than trying to mirror the Linux 2.6 Capabilities development, the configure script will now copy the actual contents of the capability_ops structure directly from the kernel source code. I am not happy with the current LSM situation, but I have something new under development that should prove to be a better solution (explained next).

I have recently come into contact with Erez Zadok, an assistant professor at Stony Brook University in New York. Over the past few years he has done a great deal of work on stackable file systems. Many of his papers can be found at:

http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/project-fist.html

In the upcoming USENIX Security Symposium he will be presenting a paper on a new stackable filesystem called Avfs (On-Access Anti-Virus File System).

http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/project-antivirusfs.html

Using these concepts (particulary those of the FiST project), it should be possible to implement Dazuko as a stackable file system rather than hooking system calls. This would not only solve all the LSM frustrations with Linux 2.6, but would also help Dazuko earn respect in the kernel development community.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer