[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko Injector?

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko Injector?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:06:24 +0100

Hi,

I have been approached by IBM about Dazuko being able to support non-kernel file access. I think this could be very useful because it would mean that Dazuko could be used for database accesses or for other userland applications, such as a direct Samba plugin.

Here is my idea for an implementation:

A daemon, which can register itself as an "event injector". Rather than being responsible for controlling file accesses, this daemon will inject access event into Dazuko and get a response if the event is ok. This would allow any userland process to utilize Dazuko daemons without having to be concerned about the daemons themselves.

At first, an injector daemon would only be able to inject events that specify files on the filesystem. In the future this could possibly be expanded to support streams, so that no files are ever written to the hard drive (ie. database objects could be streamed directly to the various Dazuko daemons). This would be much further off, but I want to get the idea out on the table.

Any thoughts?

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer