criawips-devel

Re: [devel] GOCollab, Peer-to-Peer collaborative document preperation.

From: Martin Sevior
Subject: Re: [devel] GOCollab, Peer-to-Peer collaborative document preperation.
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 17:43:34 +1000

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 13:09 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 18:28 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>

> > >   read this document. This topic is a very interesting one as I thought
> > > about that topic too, but I have one important question about collision
> > > checking/processing:
>
> FWIW, SubEthaEdit has been doing this sort of thing on the Mac for a
> while:
> http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/collaborate.html
>
> It also relies on social engineering to avoid people typing over each
> other, although since it uses Bonjour/Rendezvous (the Mac's built-in
> zeroconf implementation), as does iChat (the Mac's built-in videoconf
> app), you're only a nicely-integrated click or two away from a text,
> voice or video link with your co-authors, which makes resolving
> conflicts that bit simpler:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SubEthaEditExtremeProgramming.png

Thanks Calum,
             I believe SubEthaEdit was the app that got Jeff thinking
about how much he'd like to have GNOME-Office apps do real-time updates.

Since the GNOME (and Gtk) Free Software world contains beautiful and
powerful communication tools like gaim, xchat, gnome-meeting and
evolution we have the opportunity to go one better than both MicorSoft
and Apple by providing immediate collaborative document development in
our productivity apps.

>From my lurking on the inkscape-dev list it appears they're some way
towards a shared documents with real-time updates. We could use inkscape
as a shared whiteboard for doodling ideas as another way of resolving
these types of conflicts.

Cheers

Martin