criawips-devel

[devel] You need a PieceTable!

From: msevior
Subject: [devel] You need a PieceTable!
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:59:18 +1000 (EST)

HI Folks,
         I'm Martin Sevior. I'm a core developer of the AbiWord program.
I'm glad to hear that you have decided to try to build a
presentation program.

I saw the announcement on Footnotes but from the announcement it sounded
like you were about to repeat a msitake of earlier attempts to build
presentation programs.

Basically you really, really need a PieceTable. This is a data structure
that allows you define a complex text and structure properties. I'd be
happy to give advice and help but unfortunately I don't have time to code
for your project. AbiWord consumes all my Hacking time.

Anyway, I feel very strongly that unless you design your app to use a
piecetable and have a well defined Model (Piecetable) View (Implementation
of the Piecetable) and control you will be doomed to failure yet again.

If there is interest, I'd be happy to explain further.

Cheers and good luck!

Martin