Re: requiring 64-bit time_t again in coreutils; off_t too?

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: requiring 64-bit time_t again in coreutils; off_t too?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 10:47:53 +0100

On 10/04/2023 03:32, Paul Eggert wrote:
For a bit of time Savannah coreutils master was rejecting platforms with
32-bit signed time_t, with the idea that we really need to get
installations to be year 2038 safe. Coreutils used Gnulib's
AC_SYS_LARGEFILE to do that. However, this proved a bridge too far for
general use, and Autoconf master now has AC_SYS_YEAR2038_REQUIRED to do
this sort of thing instead. I've migrated this into Gnulib and have just
installed the attached patch to bring Savannah coreutils master back to
the state where 'configure' insists on support for timestamps past 2038.

looks good.

Should we also put largefile-required into bootstrap.conf, to reject
32-bit off_t and thus require support for files 2 GiB+ too? Currently
it's not required, though I think nobody ever builds coreutils with
--disable-largefiles to turn the option off.

Probably best not to require that, since it's less of an impending issue,
and it could cause awkwardness when building for embedded systems etc.

thanks!
Pádraig.