requiring 64-bit time_t again in coreutils; off_t too?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: requiring 64-bit time_t again in coreutils; off_t too?
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 19:32:56 -0700

For a bit of time Savannah coreutils master was rejecting platforms with 32-bit signed time_t, with the idea that we really need to get installations to be year 2038 safe. Coreutils used Gnulib's AC_SYS_LARGEFILE to do that. However, this proved a bridge too far for general use, and Autoconf master now has AC_SYS_YEAR2038_REQUIRED to do this sort of thing instead. I've migrated this into Gnulib and have just installed the attached patch to bring Savannah coreutils master back to the state where 'configure' insists on support for timestamps past 2038.

Should we also put largefile-required into bootstrap.conf, to reject 32-bit off_t and thus require support for files 2 GiB+ too? Currently it's not required, though I think nobody ever builds coreutils with --disable-largefiles to turn the option off.