Worth submitting a pull request to add –dry-run flag to rm?

From: Robert Viragh
Subject: Worth submitting a pull request to add –dry-run flag to rm?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 17:29:31 -0500

Hello,

I was referred to the list by someone based on my question:

Is it worth submitting a high-quality pull request to add a --dry-run flag
to the basic Linux rm command (rm --dry-run -rf), so users can quickly
preview all files that will be deleted before actually executing the
command? The current workaround of piping yes n to rm -i is not a perfect
solution and doesn't match rm's behavior because it asks if you want to
descend into a directory, which requires y, nor do several other
workarounds (find, ls, etc) match its behavior exactly. I've contributed to
open source but haven't contributed to Linux source code before but I think
adding this flag would benefit users.

Would a pull request like this be rejected or have a chance of being merged?

I would be interested in any thoughts from this list.

Best regards,
Robert Viragh