Re: mkdir -p competition on the same directory?

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: mkdir -p competition on the same directory?
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 16:33:42 +0000

On 09/02/2023 16:28, Peng Yu wrote:
OK.

I see the following output of `sudo dtruss mkdir -p d`. So
essentially, coreutils first calls system function mkdir to make the
directory. On error of the system call, it will check the target is a
directory. If the target is indeed a directory, then no error message
will be printed. Do I understand it correctly?

mkdir("d\0", 0x1FF, 0x0)     = -1 Err#17
stat64("d\0", 0x7FFEE9953D20, 0x0)     = 0 0

Therefore, when there is competition among many calls to coreutils
`mkdir -p`. The first instance will create the target, and the rest
instances will fail on the system call of mkdir. But since they find
the target is already created and is a directory, they will not
complain about the error system call mkdir. That is why I never see an
error similar to that of bash loadable `mkdir -p`. Is it so?

Right. That suggests a bug in the bash loadable,
as it should not fail in this case.

cheers,
Pádraig