Getting inode counts from "du --inodes" clarification

From: SCOTT FIELDS
Subject: Getting inode counts from "du --inodes" clarification
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 19:56:31 +0000

I'm wanting to get a per directory inode report.

The problem I have with "du -inodes" is that the inode report for a directory
includes all inodes for subdirectories.

But...if I use "-S" the subdirectory entry itself isn't reported in the given
directory.

So...say I have a directory with 1000 subdirectories, but each subdirectory
only contains may 5 files, I'll get a response like this:

"du -inodes <directory>" report all the inodes in <directory, but also all the
inodes in the subdirectories (including the subdirectory itself).

While...if I run "du -inodes -S <directory>", <directory> will only report the
non-directory file references and non of the direct subdirectories (minus the
contents of those subdirectories).

Is there a command use I'm missing that will show be all directories with their
total first level entries count, only?

Scott Fields
Kyndryl
SRE - BNSF