Re: Patch: dircolors, add alacritty

From: Michael Stone
Subject: Re: Patch: dircolors, add alacritty
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 17:22:01 -0400

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 02:18:53PM +0100, Pádraig Brady wrote:
Right dircolors will set empty LS_COLORS due to not matching the TERM.
In that case ls will resort to using its default basic color set
(which it does because COLORTERM is set).

Adding various terminals to the default list seems not a general solution
though.
I think we might handle this more generally by dircolors supporting
the COLORTERM env var which most terminals set, including alacritty.

COLORTERM is a lousy solution because it doesn't necessarily get preserved through various mechanisms that do make a point of preserving TERM. (E.g., ssh) The most pragmatic solution at this point is to realize that it's 2021, terminals which people actually use that don't support color are pretty few and far between, and just add a --force option so users don't have to deal with whether dircolors guesses right.