Re: openssl eggs: current-milliseconds -> current-process-milliseconds

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: openssl eggs: current-milliseconds -> current-process-milliseconds
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 13:23:56 +0100

On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:17:23 +0000 siiky <github-siiky@net-c.cat> wrote:

>> I don't know what's the support policy for older releases in the 5.x
>> series, but by your logic, no egg at all can use
>> current-process-milliseconds for the same reason of it not being
>> available before 5.3.
>
> AFAIK there's no hard set of rules about egg compatibility with
> CHICKEN versions, each egg author chooses how and what to support. If
> you want to use current-process-milliseconds in your eggs go right
> ahead! :)

It's not that simple, as using current-process-milliseconds would break
things for people using CHICKEN 5.2 or earlier.

> However, personally, I don't see the advantage of using
> current-milliseconds over current-process-milliseconds in eggs. As of
> now, both calls work, the userbase is already small, and the amount of
> available libraries is also not huge (comparing to popular
> languages). Why should I artificially restrict which CHICKEN versions
> users of my eggs can use? (I know of at least one person using 5.2
> though they probably don't use any of my eggs)

People using CHICKEN from Debian stable, for example, get CHICKEN 5.2.

> TLDR: I would choose (2) of Mario's options, but you can choose any
> option you prefer.
>
>> If breaking 5.X | X < latest is a concern, this means
>> current-milliseconds must stay in 6.x and can only be removed in
>> 7.x?
>
> Hm I don't see how that follows. Removing current-milliseconds in 6.x
> doesn't break anything 5.x.

Right, but just because that's already kinda broken in 5.X.

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario