Re: openssl eggs: current-milliseconds -> current-process-milliseconds

From: Pietro Cerutti
Subject: Re: openssl eggs: current-milliseconds -> current-process-milliseconds
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 10:23:05 +0000

On Feb 21 2023, 10:13 UTC, siiky <github-siiky@net-c.cat> wrote:
Hi Pietro,

If you don't mind me asking, why?

heh - I don't like to see deprecation warnings when I build stuff :)

From my understanding (disclaimer: not a maintainer of the openssl egg nor CHICKEN core maintainer), I think current-milliseconds can stay for now. current-milliseconds has been deprecated in 5.3 but hasn't been removed yet, it's an "alias" for current-process-milliseconds. So everything should work with current-milliseconds in 5.3 and 5.x before it. But if it was changed to current-proess-milliseconds the openssl egg would no longer work with 5.x before 5.3.

I don't know what's the support policy for older releases in the 5.x series, but by your logic, no egg at all can use current-process-milliseconds for the same reason of it not being available before 5.3. Eggs are versions by major release, so I would guess that the support policy would be the same for all 5.x eggs?

If breaking 5.X | X < latest is a concern, this means current-milliseconds must stay in 6.x and can only be removed in 7.x?

--
Pietro Cerutti
I have pledged to give 10% of income to effective charities