Re: New egg: Expect

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: New egg: Expect
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 17:20:50 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 24 May 2021 15:52:30 +0300 Aydar Zarifullin <aydar.js@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all, I wrote a very basic binding to libexpect, I haven't tested
> it thoroughly but in simple cases, it works as it should I hope it
> will be useful to someone.
>
> Repository
> https://github.com/iZarif/ckn-expect
> Documentation
> https://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/expect

Thanks for your contribution.  I skimmed through the code and
documentation and made some notes:

- The documentation is missing a link to the source repository.

- It would be nice if the documentation mentioned the required
  dependencies (tcl and sh).  For what is worth, I could install the egg
  on Debian by installing the tcl-dev and tcl-expect-dev packages and
  setting `CSC_OPTIONS="-I/usr/include/tcl"'

- Commands given to `call-with-process-io' go through the shell.  I
  think the documentation should mention that, as it might be a security
  issue if callers don't properly quote the given arguments.

- `tcl-create-interp' gets executed at module import time.  Not sure if
  this is a good practice.

- In `call-with-process-io', files are not closed if `proc' raises an
  error.  Either the implementation should handle that or the
  documentation should mention that behavior.

- Would the body of `(unless interp ...)' in `tcl-create-interp` [0]
  ever be executed?

[0]
https://github.com/iZarif/ckn-expect/blob/4ad76ea807131232d7acb3a7e9075b3014d639c8/expect.scm#L41

All the best.