Re: Establishing Git repos for miscellaneous Chicken tools

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: Establishing Git repos for miscellaneous Chicken tools
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 18:12:02 +0100

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 18:36:24 +0200 Lassi Kortela <lassi@lassi.io> wrote:

>> Switching git hosting solutions should be just a matter of changing the git
>> URL.
>
> AFAICT this can be achieved by turning off the issue tracker and wiki
> on GitHub repos. This would mean we use the mailing list, Chicken's
> issue tracker, or email/irc for coordination. Since it's just a few
> tools, maybe not worth overthinking this?

Please note that what I wrote was just a suggestion to prevent future
problems.  I don't mean to impose anything.  If you think using GitHub,
GitLab or whatever git host available would be a good solution, that's
absolutely fine by me.  I use GitHub myself.  It was just a small remark
to avoid falling in the trap of having a lot of dependencies on
vendor-specific features that might just vanish (like what happened with
Sourceforge, Google Code etc.).

And, sure, the CHICKEN bug tracker, mailing lists, wiki and IRC channel
can be used for CHICKEN-related stuff.

> Another option would be to put all the tools in one git repo on
> code.call-cc.org, and give write access to that repo to the few people
> who need it. Is there some way to have it send email notifications,
> similar to the GitHub "watch this repo" feature?

Currently we don't have e-mail notifications.  Our use-case is very
modest for today's standards of fanciness.  Our git traffic is very low.
We basically use the mailing lists to communicate.  It's a very simple
setup -- as it must be, otherwise we wouldn't be able to maintain it.

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario