Re: Trying to understand chicken limitations

From: Iain Duncan
Subject: Re: Trying to understand chicken limitations
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 21:20:20 -0800

(trimmed)

I'm hoping to be able to achieve some sort of hot coding, where functions and definitions in my scheme environment may get overwritten by the user doing live coding.

That's practical. Eval maintains a global environment which can be changed by evaluating new definitions.

Are there limitations on what kind of thing can be dynamically evaluated or can I evaluate anything, but with perhaps a performance penalty?

You can evaluate anything that doesn't need access to the foreign function interface.

Thank you for the explanations. For the above, I'm not sure I quite understand. Does this mean that if I have real-time scheme code sent to the plugin, and it will be run by eval, that this code can not calls functions that are defined in C and made available to scheme? Can it call functions I have precompiled that call into C? Or if I'm misunderstanding, do you mind expanding on what the last statement means for a newbie?

thanks
Iain