Trying to understand chicken limitations

From: Iain Duncan
Subject: Trying to understand chicken limitations
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 09:58:14 -0800

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can help a me, a scheme newbie, choose my scheme implementation for a project. (I've done ClojureScript, and am now learning Scheme and lisp in general). What I'm not clear on from my perusing of the chicken sites is what limitations the fact that chicken compiles to C introduces. I'm building a music composition in Max/MSP, and I want to host a scheme environment in a C plugin using the Max SDK. My goal is to write high level composition related code in scheme, with only the ugly max plumbing in C, as it's a rather low-level SDK. One aspect of this is that I want users of the plugin to be able to send scheme code, as files or strings, from max (passing through the C plugin) into the scheme instantiation for evaluation, giving us a REPL-in-max essentially. I've been looking at a few options: Guile, S7, Chez, and Chicken right now. I feel like the ability to generate C as output could be really useful, but I don't understand what I lose from Chicken's design for this case. (Boy I'd love to hear "nothing"!)  So any help on that or pointers to resources would be much appreciated.

thanks
iain