Re: [Chicken-users] New Eggs: SRFI-113 and SRFI-128

From: Jeremy Steward
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New Eggs: SRFI-113 and SRFI-128
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 23:25:22 -0600

On 02/05/16 11:06 PM, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
| Hello Jeremy, ...
|
| Some comments on the packaging:
|
| * (version ...) in .meta files is not used by chicken-install.
| Only the form in .setup is used.  I'd suggest removing (version
| ...) from .meta, otherwise people may start copy&paste'ing it, and
| we'll end up having one more file to update in case of version
| update (or one more place with inconsistent information, in case it
| is not properly update).

Duly noted. I didn't think it was used, as I've never written it in
meta before; however, when I packaged SRFI-128 there was a version tag
in the meta file that already existed in the repo. In the future I
will not use them, in this case I opted to leave it as I did not want
to change too many things.

| * instead of (author "foo, egg by bar"), you can use (author
| "foo") (maintainer "bar")

This is interesting to know. I'll put it on the roadmap for future
versions. I can update them quite easily, however to actually put the
tag on Github requires me to message Arthur Gleckler (maintainer of
the scheme-requests-for-implementation account on Github), and ask him
to throw new versions up.

| * Why do we have a tarball into the git repository?

I do not know. You could do the same thing with a git tag, but for
some reason all the SRFIs on Github do this (so I presume there are
hysterical raisins of some kind behind this, potentially due to
mirrors that don't use git). I didn't include the tarball into the
meta file, so it shouldn't impact the egg.

Thanks Mario.

- -- Jeremy Steward