Re: [Chicken-users] ANN: Lowdown, a pure Chicken Markdown parser

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ANN: Lowdown, a pure Chicken Markdown parser
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 21:49:27 +0200

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 04:40:44PM -0300, Stephen Eilert wrote:
> Cool!
>
> I must apologize, btw. I was written something that required a Markdown
> parser and I didn't feel like going on this huge detour to write a Markdown
> parser in Scheme, so I just used the Discount library and that's it.

That's perfectly fine.  Writing a parser yourself is a lot of work, and
you probably had bigger fish to fry at the time.  Remember, Chicken is
*practical* Scheme system.  We get shit done around here!

> And reading and emitting strings is actually a nicer interface than what you'd
> normally write with Discount - took me a while to backtrack and redo it, it
> was going to be something much more complex to begin with.
>
> In any case, I am not to sad to see the Discount egg die. Give it an
> horrible death.

If this is how you feel about the egg, I think it's probably a good idea
to change its category to "deprecated", and put a note on the wiki page
pointing people to the lowdown egg.  This provides some transparency
about the egg's status, and guides people's expectations.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx