[Chicken-users] [ANN] Chicken on Raspberry Pi

From: Erik Falor
Subject: [Chicken-users] [ANN] Chicken on Raspberry Pi
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 12:01:50 -0600

I want to announce that Chicken 4.7.0.6 builds & runs on a Raspberry
Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/).

I did this without the need to hack any files or pass any exotic
arguments to make.  It just worked.

I didn't time(1) the build, but judging by the timestamps on the
artifacts I estimate that it took over 1 hour 40 minutes to complete.

I've tested it by chicken-installing some eggs and rebuilding some
projects that I've worked on.  So far, so good!

As of this writing I'm still building some eggs on my Pi (as I said,
it is a bit slow).  I suppose I should spend some time setting up a
cross-compilation env on my Gentoo desktop.  I'll update my progress
on my blog at unnovative.net.

Now I'd like to see Alaric Snell-Pym's great idea come to fruition:

http://www.snell-pym.org.uk/archives/2012/08/01/getting-kids-into-programming-and-what-the-raspberry-pi-is-lacking/

--
Erik Falor                                       http://unnovative.net
Registered Linux User #445632                  http://linuxcounter.net