Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-install should use sudo -v

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-install should use sudo -v
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 23:12:07 -0500

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:56 AM, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Currently when you install an egg with many dependencies using the -s
> (sudo) switch, you have to wait to enter your password until the first
> time chicken-install invokes sudo.  If, on detecting the -s switch,
> chicken-install immediately ran "sudo -v", the password would be requested
> at the top.  This variant of sudo does not run any command.

In my opinion, this is not much of an issue; since you have to provide
-s explicitly, the user knows he is invoking sudo, and can do sudo -v
by hand if it will be an issue.  Besides, it is possible that a long
compile could exceed the sudo validation time, so you can't guarantee
your ticket will even be valid when sudo is reinvoked!

Jim