Re: [Chicken-users] Re: An alternative thread system?

From: Aleksej Saushev
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: An alternative thread system?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:29:51 +0400

Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> writes:

>   Guys, I am glad to see that old flame wars never die ;-)

Yes, but I have no time to participate in them today, hence I quit.

> Pipes used to be slow back in the day, around the time when
> forking and context switching was slow.

Context switch remains to be slow.

> Nowadays, modern kernels rely extensively on zero-copy techniques,
> and I am pretty sure that Linux has had zero-copy pipes since
> at least the 2.4 series.

Pipes are zero-copy inside, yet you end serializing your data structures
(either directly or via some protocol) just to write them, and you have
to parse what you serialized.

> Passing data between threads may be as simple as an assignment,
> but it almost never is. In practice, you always end up having some
> complicated synchronization protocol. Why not let the OS handle
> that for you?

Because OS can't handle everything within your time constraints,
one operations are fast, others are not.

I have lengthy reply in my drafts, but I have no time to finish it.
"Truth is hard to prove, because truth doesn't need proofs"
(Veniamin Kaverin). And I have more interesting things to do.

--
CE3OH...