Re: [Chicken-users] call-with-values speed

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] call-with-values speed
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:18:44 +0100

On 11/22/05, Zbigniew <address@hidden> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I found that handling multiple values is very slow.  In
> fact, if you cannot use the method I mentioned above (the fastest), it
> is much faster to construct and deconstruct a list or cons with 2
> values than to process multiple values.  I provide some timing below.
> I do not personally care if values are fast, as I have other
> satisfactory workarounds; it is just interesting.  I didn't find any
> mention of it in the mailing list archives, though.

Yes, multiple values need more processing, but when compiling
the code you will find that the list-based approach is in the end "only"
twice as fast as the multiple values solution (running the test in the
interpreter isn't that representative, really).
But, yes, it's not that multiple values are slow, it's that allocation
(as in the list-case) is quite fast...