Re: [Chicken-users] that module system...

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] that module system...
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:49:07 -0600

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 09:19:51AM +0100, felix wrote:
> Hm, can you explain this in more detail? I'm afraid I don't fully
> understand.

Sure, what I mean with csc is this:

Suppose you have a project that has three scheme files:
top.scm util1.scm util2.scm

Now you want to compile them and link them together, but it is hard because
csc assumes each scm file has the toplevel or doesn't know which file has it.

So, it'd be nice if you could do something like this:

csc --toplevel top.scm --non-toplevel util1.scm util2.scm

This way, the execution starts at top.scm and the rest of the files are
just compiled and linked in--scheme has no notion of main() so it has
to be told where to start executing. This is much better than the nasty
backticking nightmare I did in the Makefiles for GNU MP FFI. :) Though
you need to be able to specify both underlying compiler and chicken
compiler flags in a decent way.

-pete