Re: [Chicken-users] thread scheduling: how about an idle-thread-hook?

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] thread scheduling: how about an idle-thread-hook?
Date: 09 Aug 2002 11:02:44 -0400

address@hidden writes:
> Has anyone else thought about thread scheduling and I/O multiplexing
> in chicken? Any suggestions, or approaches that have worked well for
> others?

I'd very much like to work without threads for my application and
stick to a low level select(2)/poll(2)/kqueue(2) style mechanism. I
intend to build a small event driven programming library on top of the
underlying socket, POSIX and select/poll mechanisms and work that
way.

That is not to say that I oppose having other mechanisms for people
who want threads -- just that some of us do not want to be forced to
use them to multiplex I/O. One thing that very much turned me off of
Scsh was a strongly expressed prejudice against event driven
programming.

--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden