chicken-meisters

Re: [Chicken-meisters] Restart of apache required

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-meisters] Restart of apache required
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 04:02:15 -0400 (EDT)

>> I think I forgot to cast to double before doing the arithmetic, right?
>
> I don't know. C's type rules confuse me.  It makes sense though.
> I see you're implemented a fix.  Does this always return doubles on
> 32-bits platforms, even when overwriting C_startup_time_seconds like
> I did?  If so, we might have solved this particular "Spiffy hanging" bug.

It always returns a double, so it's inexact everywhere.

>> > On the other hand, when I call current-seconds, it returns a greater
>> > number (is that right?) and it does go into flonum mode immediately
>> > on startup:
>> > #;2> (current-seconds)
>> > 1305112661.0
>>
>> current-seconds uses time(NULL), current-milliseconds uses
>> gettimeofday and returns the uptime of the process (sort of).
>
> Ah, that's a bit confusing.  The names imply that one is just more
> precise than the other.

Absolutely. A mess.

>> (btw, shouldn't discussions like this go to chicken-hackers?)
>
> We've digressed a bit from the "Spiffy is crashing" issue, so maybe
> this should.  I don't think it's a huge problem to have it here.

No, it isn't, of course. I just wanted to ask, because some people
might be concerned of an "inner circle" emerging. Even though I think
it is a good idea to have a non-public place to discuss sensitive or
personal issues (well, intended to be non-public), the technical
discussions should be open, I think.

cheers,
felix