Re: [Chicken-hackers] Benchmark for "values" - interesting results

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Benchmark for "values" - interesting results
Date: 24 May 2013 22:57:11 +0200

On May 24 2013, John Cowan wrote:

I've always thought that case-lambda should be built into the core,
so that simple tail recursions, like this:

(define foo (case-lambda
 ((bar baz) ...)
 ((baz) (foo #f baz))))

can be rewritten as a varargs function with appropriate internal jumps,
without the need to construct and then deconstruct a list.

Hm.  At the moment I'm short of imagination how much overhead these
internal jumps would incur.  I can't yet imagine that those would be
for free.  Could they?

/Jörg