certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] Unable to create RTI ambassador

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Unable to create RTI ambassador
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:52:00 +0200

2011/8/31 Jan-Patrick Osterloh <address@hidden>:
> Am 30.08.2011 20:35, schrieb Eric Noulard:
>> 2011/8/30 Jan-Patrick Osterloh <address@hidden>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm currently developing a federate for X-Plane.
>> Nice.
>> May be you would be interested to know that a prototype X-Plane
>> plugins already exists
>> as a CERTI contribution:
>> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/applications/XPlaneHLAPlugin/?root=certi
>>
>> You could checkout the code from CERTI cvs repository
>> cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/certi co
>> applications/XPlaneHLAPlugin
>>
> Yes, I'd know this, and I checked it out, too. But on the one hand, I
> wasn't able to compile it (Windows), and on the other hand I didn't
> understand what the plugin does. It seems very complex, and is not
> documented at all.

Yes we know that this plugins was a proof of concept and definitely
needs rework and doc.
The purpose of the plugins was to be able to plug XPlane as a federate
on an HLA simulation.

Other federate may subscribe to XPlane output and/or send command to XPlane
through the "HLA bus".
As an example we did use some phidgets (http://www.phidgets.com/) to control
some XPlane inputs. The phidget controls were some other HLA federates
which publish
controls to which the XPlane plugin was subscribed to.

> Beside this, I need a more flexible and configurable
> approach. We have already implemented a configurable federate with a
> very simple to use API for another Federate, and currently my intention
> is simply to re-use this.

Ok, I would be interested in knowing more about that, would you be able
to publish some code (and may be some doc :-] ) concerning this work?

>>> Do you have an idea, what the problem could be?
>> Yes may be that in the context of XPlane plugin the rtia executable may
>> not be found in the path?
> In the process explorer I can see, that the RTIA is started up, but then
> it is exits very quickly again. But I think too, that it could be
> something in the path. I tested to put rtia and associated libs to
> different paths, but without success.

If RTIA is starting and dying rapidely may be there could be a DLL issue?
RTIA depends on severals DLL.

If you installed several version of CERTI (or other RTI) be sure that you don't
have DLL version mismatch.

>> By the way:
>>
>> 1) Which version of CERTI are you using ?
> A CVS version with the patches provided by Christoph Läsche.

Most of Christoph patches were merged in CVS HEAD:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7567
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7568

which one(s) did you apply?
May be this one:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7566

We need to fix the circular dep ref for good.
Did you tried latest patch for:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?30003

We lack systematic Windows tester, would you be willing to help
us to maintain a clean Windows build?

>> 2) On which platform ?
> Windows XP
>> 3) Did you compile CERTI from source or did you use some binary?
> I compiled it from source with mingw (GCC 4.5.0)

OK.

> I will now check if the path provided within xplane is different from
> the one I have normally.

Check DLLs too.

--
Erk