certi-devel

Re: CERTI Java-binding ?; Was: [certi-dev] certi performance comparison

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: CERTI Java-binding ?; Was: [certi-dev] certi performance comparison
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 14:55:22 +0200

2008/7/2 Gotthard,Petr <address@hidden>:

>> In CERTI HLA API call (RTIA/FederateAmbassador callbacks) are
>> translated to/from Messages sent/received on a socket
>> handled by different RTI processes (RTIG and RTIA)
>
> You're building a Java version of libRTI (RTIambassador) communicating
> with the C++ RTIA, right?

Yes the first try is this one.

> I think this is the best way to do HLA  bindings to different languages.

Pierre will be glad to ear you :=)
The only trouble here is that the Java Federate has to launch a native
executable (RTIA). So Java Federate depends on a RTIA running on the
targeted platform.

We discuss the fact that we may implement RTIA in java too,
this way the Federate is 100% java and RTIA in java may be
java thread with potentially better performance than
(TCP) socket communication with the C++ RTIA.

The conclusion was that implementing RTIA in java is not
an easy task, so we started with a "simple" libRTI in java.

I say we "started" but may be it's already the best solution who knows...

>> May be the FlightGear HLA plugin would work with Portico as well,
>>
>> Petr may answer this better than me.
>
> The FlightGear plug-in doesn't depend on any CERTI specific functions,
> so it may work. I have never tried. I was scared away by the dependency
> on Java.

Yep, I've already eared that :=)

> I was even not able to compile the Portico's RTI.

I did not have time to give it a try, but I will and keep you informed.
--
Erk