axiom-math

RE: [Axiom-math] Engineering Application

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-math] Engineering Application
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:21:41 -0500

On January 26, 2006 7:58 PM Raymond E. Rogers wrote:

> I would like to say that its great to find theory and tools
> that really work.  I wrote my optimization/tolerance analysis
> program in about 5 lines and it works, giving answers that
> I as an Engineer need.  I did it the crude way, but simplicity
> is nice.

:) I am glad you find it useful... we need more tesimonals like
that!

> Small problem, when I ran the real problem I ran out of memory
> and haven't been able to find information about the "allocation"
> command; I haven't received my book yet.  Could somebody point
> me to the right place.

I am afraid you wont find much in any of the Axiom documentation
about memory allocation. :(

But if the error message that you get when you "ran out of
memory" was similar to:

    >> System error:
    Contiguous blocks exhausted.
  Currently, 1354 pages are allocated.
  Use ALLOCATE-CONTIGUOUS-PAGES to expand the space.

then maybe you can try for example:

  (1) -> )lisp (si::allocate-contiguous-pages 3000 t)

See for example:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxCategoryOfGraphs

Memory allocation is primarily controlled by the underlying
GCL lisp environment. Unfortunately the specific details of
the memory allocation in GCL are beyond me. Camm Macquire
is the main GCL developer. I have some notes from him back
in September with more details of GCL memory allocation when
I was trying to debug the above problem. If you get deeply into
this, I can copy these to you.

The most significant defaults are set during the compilation
of GCL as part of the overall Axiom build. If you are building
Axiom from source, you might be able to modify the GCLOPTS to
specify larger limits.

Regards,
Bill Page.