Re: Axiom musings...

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: Axiom musings...
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 17:28:28 -0500

Full support for general, first-class dependent types requires
some changes to the Axiom design. That implies some language
design questions.

Given that mathematics is such a general subject with a lot of
"local" notation and ideas (witness logical judgment notation)
careful thought is needed to design a language that is able to
handle a wide range.

Normally language design is a two-level process. The language
designer creates a language and then an implementation. Various
design choices affect the final language.

There is "The Metaobject Protocol" (MOP)
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Metaobject-Protocol-Gregor-Kiczales/dp/0262610744
which encourages a three-level process. The language designer
works at a Metalevel to design a family of languages, then the
language specializations, then the implementation. A MOP design
allows the language user to optimize the language to their problem.

A simple paper on the subject is "Metaobject Protocols"
https://users.cs.duke.edu/~vahdat/ps/mop.pdf

Tim